Thursday, February 14, 2008

Three Cheers For........Valentines Day?!?!?!?!


I am admittedly one of those people that loves Valentine's Day. This never used to be - but in recent years I have discovered why this Hallmark-made-holiday is so special. In years past I didn't have any REAL reason to enjoy Valentine's Day. I was either single, or in a relationship that didn't matter enough to want to "celebrate the love". It was always just another day - but more annoying because of all the hearts and flowers and cupids and couples that were out holding hands and kissing. UGH.

So why now? Why like this "holiday" NOW? One reason - Brian. After meeting him, I've realized why this silly holiday was even made up. Its a day to really slow down and pay attention to all that your loved one does for you. Brian and I are always so busy and we have such opposite schedules, that this one day is a good reminder to really show each other how much we love one another. Its a great day to really just focus on each other and do something romantic and special.

The above comic is one I commissioned Matthew Reidsma (his daily diary strip is High Maintenance Machine) to draw for me. Why am I giving Brian a "MONKEY" shirt? Because he's wanted one ever since we saw this add in the movie theatre:


I framed the comic, wrapped it up, and gave it to Brian this morning. As he was unwrapping it, he recognized who the artist was....but it took a moment before a little light went off in his eyes and he realized that he was in the comic! He was so excited!!

So far Brian left a card in the shower for me to find this morning....which was a great surprise! I went back to the bedroom to give him a hug and he was still sleepy, but smirking when he saw me walk back in the room. Before I left for work he had left a CD for me on my bag. I opened it up and it said "Happy Valentine's Day - will you be mine?" and it was a super adorable mixed CD filled with music by Donovan, Say Hi To Your Mom, Iron & Wine, Nick Drake, The Monkees, etc. I'm listening to it at work while I write this. I'm excited to get out of work today because Brian mentioned that he has dinner reservations somewhere and after dinner he has tickets to a show of some kind....I can't wait to see what he has planned! He's being so sweet and thoughtful, I am so happy I'm marrying him.

1 comment:

Seedy B said...

thank you, sugar britches. its an awesome gift.