Friday, February 22, 2008

Providence is better than Flint and Detroit!!

I SHOULD be celebrating that right?? Umm...no. According to Forbes, my hometown is rated #10 on the 10 most miserable cities in the United States. The fact that we rate better than Flint, MI and Detroit, MI doesn't surprise me as we haven't had a major auto company abandon our city leaving thousands jobless, and well, Detroit is just commonly known to be dangerous, right?

I have to say that I was partly happy to see how horribly Providence rated. Its just not my favorite place to live. Granted, I haven't lived many places, other than Providence I've lived in Boston. As far as cities go, I've visited Chicago, NYC, Hartford (how was Hartford NOT on this list of terrible 10?!?!), Baltimore, Bethesda, Washington D.C. and obviously Boston/Cambridge. Perhaps its my lack of travel experience, but I've always considered Boston to be my favorite city. Even while I was a pre-teen. This feeling still holds true today, and it grew stronger after living and going to college in Boston for 2 years. Two glorious years - to return to the ever underwhelming "city" of Providence. I continually miss "Bahstons" streets, parks, shops, and public travel system. (imagine, a bus filled with students and business folk - and the bus doesn't smell like human waste! its a bit of a difference from Providence's buses filled with the homeless or underpaid and somehow the bus always has the lovely odor of, well, piss.)

Boston, how I love thee. Someday I hope to return.

Much to my dismay Chicago was #6 on the worst cities. Its such a shame because when I went on spring break there in 2006, it seemed like such an amazing place. But yeah, not exactly a spring break hot spot. My plane was delayed due to heavy snowfall on the day we were to depart.

Read the article here:
America's Most Miserable Cities

No comments: